Production area and denomination

Verdicchio it’s the name of a white grape which is cultivated practically only in the Marche region (there are very few example of Verdicchio outside Marche). It’s considered an autochthonous grape of this region where it’s cultivated since the 16th century. It’s very eclectic grape because can give wines fresh and young but also more structured wines which can age several years. And also can give good sparkling wines (with both methods, traditional and Martinotti) and dessert sweet wines from over matured grapes.
Verdicchio dei castelli di Jesi (literally Verdicchio of Jesi castles) it’s the most important denomination produced with this grape. Jesi castles it’s an historical name that is referred to several villages around the city of Jesi, in the middle of the Marche region.


Marche region

This wine can be produced in the provinces of Macerata and Ancona. Verdicchio grape must be used for at least 85%, for the rest (15% max) should be used another white grape cultivated in the same area and typical of this region.

The sub denominations are 5:

  • Verdicchio dei Castelli Di Jesi
  • Verdicchio dei Castelli Di Jesi Classico 
  • Verdicchio dei Castelli Di Jesi Classico Superiore 
  • Verdicchio dei Castelli Di Jesi Passito
  • Verdicchio dei Castelli Di Jesi Spumante

Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico must be produced in a more restricted area, close to Esino river, where in origin this wine started to be produced. The suffix Superiore can be used if the level of alcohol is more than 12%, compared that the minimum level of 11,5% of Castelli di Jesi and Castelli di Jesi Classico. Castelli di Jesi Passito must be done from over matured grapes and the minimum level of alcohol is 15%. Both methods (traditional and Martinotti) can be used to produce the Spumante, which must have at least 11.5% of alcohol.

Moreover, it can be added the suffix “riserva” after 1 year of ageing, and the presence on the lees for at least 9 months

tasting Verdicchio dei castelli di jesi

The color is pale straw-yellow, the bouquet is delicate and characteristic. In mouth is dry, harmonic with a pleasant bitter tendency.
A young Verdicchio can match all the dishes with sea fish, included grilled and baked, but also with white meat like chicken or rabbit. An aged Verdicchio can be paired also with white truffles and with some structured cheese, like Pecorino di Fossa.
A young Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi should be served at 8-10°C in medium tulip glass, while an aged one in a wider glass at 10-12°C